Be Prepared for Hurricane Season 2018
With the start of the Atlantic hurricane season here, now is the time to prepare at the Jersey Shore.
Be Prepared Before a Hurricane Strikes
Living at the Jersey Shore makes us prone to severe weather disasters including hurricanes and tropical storms that may bring coastal flooding. While predicting exactly how much damage a storm will cause is impossible, with some preventive measures, you and your family can try to minimize the potential damage. Here are three things you can do to prepare for flooding from a powerful hurricane or tropical storm:
- Create a Disaster Survival Kit
In case of an emergency you should always have a disaster survival kit that you and your family update every so often. Include items like bottled water, non-perishable food, flashlights, batteries (for radios, flashlights), and a first aid medical kit. Shop early for supplies. Essential items usually sell out fast before a storm. Remember to write down important emergency contact information and insurance documents, as well as essential medications and lastly, do not forget cell phone chargers, either.
- Secure Your Home & Valuables
Before the storm arrives, if possible, move or secure any items that are in danger of causing damage or becoming destroyed by strong winds, such as outdoor furniture. Inside the home, you can move furniture, valuables, hazardous materials, and important documents to higher ground inside your home. For safety, remember to shut off the main power supply to your home, as well as unplug all electronics. If you, a loved one or a neighbor have a mobile home, ensure it is properly secured and anchored.
- Help Others in Need of Assistance and Protect Pets
In addition to protecting you and your family make sure to help anyone in need of assistance. Before the storm hits, ask them if they need any assistance evacuating or preparing before the storm. Don not forget about pets. If necessary, make special arrangements for safe transport of your pets while remembering to bring any pet medications and enough food to last through the ordeal. If you need a safe place for your pet during the disaster, contact your local animal shelter. Never leave them behind.
We all know flooding is part of living near the water. Here at SERVPRO of Toms River, we are prepared 24 hours a day to cleanup and dry your water damaged property, if you do suffer flooding. We can start the remediation process immediately after you contact us. A faster response lessens the mold damage, limits additional damage, and reduces the remediation cost. We have the experience and advanced training that enables us to restore your property quickly.
Contact us 24/7 at 732-349-9898 for all your storm related damage.
Help the National Weather Service Build a Weather Ready Nation
Hurricane Preparedness Week for 2018 is May 6 through May 12, and is your time to prepare for a potential land falling tropical storm or hurricane. The goal of Hurricane Preparedness Week is to inform you about hurricane hazards and provide knowledge, which you can use to take action. The National Weather Service will focus on a different topic each day of the week:
Day 1 Determine Your Risk
Day 2 Develop an Evacuation Plan
Day 3 Assemble Disaster Supplies
Day 4 Secure am Insurance Check Up
Day 5 Strengthen Your Home
Day 6 Check on Your Neighbor
Day 7 Complete Your Written Hurricane Plan
For more information on each day, please visit the National Weather Service .
What NOT To Do If You Experience Smoke or Soot Damage
SERVPRO of Toms River was called in to make it "Like It Never Even Happened" after the entire home was covered in soot and smoke from the fireplace.
A fire can leave behind soot, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting and floors will often need a thorough professional cleaning. If your home or business suffers a fire, first contact SERVPRO of Toms River before attempting to clean yourself. It is important NOT to do the following even though you think it might help the situation:
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV's, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water.
- Do not consume any foods or beverages that may have been stores close to fire, heat or water as they may be contaminated.
- If ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Do not send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor
Call Us Today at 732-349-9898.
We specialize in fire and water damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We’re dedicated to responding immediately when you need help. A fast response helps lessen the damage, limits secondary damage, and reduces cost.
Did You Know There is Science Behind Our Drying Process?
A sink overflowed on the 2nd floor affected multiple floors with water damage so we brought in our drying equipment to speed up Mother Nature.
Your initial reaction to a water damage may be to grab a few towels to mop up the mess and place a fan or two around the wet area, but there is actually a science behind the drying process. SERVPRO of Toms River is highly trained in the science of drying and follow strict standards to help lower the chance of secondary damages. If you suffer a water damage, we will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
Why exactly do we need to speed up Mother Nature? A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material but only if the air is, indeed, drier. The only problem is, nature often takes too long and secondary damages may occur while the building is drying out, which could lead to the dreaded mold word.
SERVPRO of Toms River has the tools and equipment necessary to help Mother Nature along, including hardwood floors, tough to reach spaces or inside walls and much more. We also use state of the art monitoring equipment and technology along with a proven scientific process to help speed the drying of your property.
Visit our Water Damage Repair and Restoration page for more information or call us at 732-349-9898.
SERVPRO of Toms River is Ready for Whatever Happens. Are you?
SERVPRO of Toms River is there when you need them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
When a storm or disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Toms River is prepared and ready to take action and you should be too. Be prepared in your home or business with an Emergency Kit. Ready.gov suggests you to have enough supplies to last for at least three days. Below are some suggested items to include in your kit:
- 3 day supply of nonperishable foods
- Water (One+ gallon per person)
- First Aid Kit
- Prescription Medicine
- Sleeping Bag or blankets
- Fire extinguisher
- Hygiene products
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of clothes
- Matches in waterproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- Pet supplies
- Infant formula and diapers
- Important documents such as insurance policies, ID’s, and bank records in a plastic container
For a more extensive list, check out Ready.gov.
Whenever or whatever the disaster SERVPRO of Toms River is there when you need them.
4 Steps SERVPRO of Toms River Does Following a Water Loss
A frozen pipe burst in Manahawkin, NJ and caused water damage throughout the 1st floor.
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage. Within 4 hours of emergency water loss notification, SERVPRO of Toms River will be on site to help ensure your loss is handled by completing the following steps:
- Inspection-We will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning work.
- Emergency Services-SERVPRO of Toms River professionals will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal belongings and other contents, from further water damage by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step by step.
- Monitoring-To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, we will monitor the drying process. The updates will be communicated to you consistently.
- Restoration Services- Lastly, we will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property and belongings. A final walk through of the jobsite will be conducted with you to help ensure the property to preloss condition.
For more information on recovering from a water damage, contact SERVPRO of Toms River at 732-349-9898.
Faster to Any Size Flood Disaster
Brave New World experienced flood damage and they called the cleanup team that is faster is any size disaster.
Having a home or business by the Jersey Shore, there is always a potential for flood damage. Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Just because you have not experienced a flood in the past does not mean you will not in the future. Nearly 20% of all flood insurance claims come from moderate to low risk areas.
When flood damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That is why contacting SERVPRO of Toms River as soon as possible is so important. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly. Call us at 732-349-9898 or visit our storm and flood damage cleanup and restoration page for more information on our services. Our company is a leader in giving control back to home and business owners and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water.
A Water Intrusion Quickly Becomes a Mold Problem
This home in Whiting, NJ had a roof that leaked into the attic, unbeknownst to the homeowners, and quickly turned into a mold problem.
When there is a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line, mold can quickly become a problem in your home. Mold can cause health effects and significant damage to your property. Fortunately, the team at SERVPRO of Toms River, has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different requiring a unique solution, the general remediation process stays the same. The following steps illustrate a “typical” mold removal process:
- Call 732-349-9898 and we will ask you a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed for your mold problem.
- We will carefully inspect for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources, sometimes hidden from plain view.
- Containment procedures may need to be set up to further prevent spreading and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
- Specialized filtration equipment will capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We will utilize our powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these spores while the process is in progress.
- The remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We will use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and help prevent new ones from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary to remediate heavy growth.
- Cleaning furniture, decorative items, curtains and other restorable items that are affected comes next. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings along with removing odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
- Finally, depending on the level of damage and removing what was necessary, installing new drywall, subfloors, carpeting, etc. and painting may be necessary to finish the restoration process
SERVPRO of Toms River is a trusted leader in the restoration industry. Locally owned and operated, we live and work here and are proud to be part of this community. We are proud to provide mold remediation services in our local communities.
Mold is Present Almost Everywhere
Mold growing on wood in a home in Tuckerton, NJ before the mold remediation process.
Mold is present almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors, year round, which is not necessarily a bad thing. They are a necessary part of our environment that play a key role in the breakdown of organic materials and recycle nutrients back through our ecosystem.
Airborne mold spores float around inside our homes are simply a fact of our daily life and are normally not harmful. They only becomes harmful or bad when they enter our indoor environment and begin to grow on sustainable food sources that could potentially affect the air with an elevated level of mold spores.
Some examples of sustainable food sources are:
- Carpeting or rugs
Indoors, mold needs moisture to grow and becomes a problem where there is water damage, elevated, prolonged or excessive humidity or dampness. They grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions. Mold growth can start to grow on a damp surface within 24 to 48 hours and will digest organic material, eventually destroying the material they grow on.
Some people are unaware that molds can be many colors including white, green, orange or blue and not just black or grey. Color has no bearing on whether it is dangerous or not and not all black, brown, grey, or white spots are mold. When unsure, it is best to have a professional evaluate the situation.
The best practice is to remediate the mold at the source and work to prevent future growth. The key to preventing and stopping mold growth is to control excessive moisture and condensation. Removing the mold without fixing the water problem will usually result in the mold coming back. Keeping susceptible areas in the home clean and dry is critical. In cases dealing with humidity, use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months. Humidity levels change with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so they will need to regularly monitored. Be sure the home has adequate ventilation, including exhaust fans.
SERVPRO of Toms River knows that every mold infestation is different, from the amount of mold to the types of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. We are locally owned and operated, and proud to provide mold remediation services in our local communities.
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call us today at (732)349-9898.
Cooking Fire Restoration and Cleanup
This small cooking fire in Bayville, NJ caused significant smoke and soot damage throughout the home.
Cooking Fire Restoration and Cleanup
Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen.
Always cook with caution. Make sure you are focusing on your cooking and not sleepy, distracted, or drinking alcohol. Keep anything that could catch on fire away from your stovetop, such as oven mitts, towels, wooden utensils, food packaging and combustible items. Stay in the kitchen and use a timer to remind you of cooking times. If you need to leave the kitchen, even for a short amount of time, turn off the stove.
If a fire does break out in your kitchen, please remember these simple tips:
- Keep a lid nearby to smother a small grease fire on the stovetop. Carefully slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the lid on until the pan cools completely.
- Keep the oven door closed and turn off the heat in the event of an oven fire.
- Leave! Get out as fast as you can and if possible close doors to try to contain the fire.
- Call 911 or your local fire and police departments from outside your home.
Fires are not just frightening while the flames are blazing. The aftermath of a fire can be scary and devastating. Seeing the smoke, soot and water damage left behind can be heartbreaking. Even though the fire occurred in the kitchen, the entire house will need inspecting for both seen and unseen damage.
One of the biggest challenges after a kitchen fire is that you often have smoke and soot which leaves a residue made up of more than one type of material. Understanding how to best clean these residues and the proper tools to use is what SERVPRO of Toms River, your local fire damage cleanup company, does on a daily basis.
Another difficult challenge may be the extensive water damage from firefighting efforts. The water removal process begins almost immediately after the structure is safe to enter. This process removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
We hope you never have to experience a cooking fire, but if you do, SERVPRO of Toms River will be there to treat you and your loved ones with respect and empathy, and will always treat your home and belongings with care throughout the restoration process.