Are You Aware that September is Mold Awareness Month?
Mold spreads quickly, so a minor mold infestation can quickly escalate into a major problem.
Are You Aware that September is Mold Awareness Month?
Molds are part of our natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.
It only takes a small water leak, or even excess humidity, for mold to form in your Toms River home or business. Then, mold can spread quickly through the property in as little as 48 hours. Mold can produce allergens and irritants, and it has the potential to cause other health effects.
Listed below are a few simple tips if you suspect you may have a mold situation:
- DO NOT ignore possible signs of mold. Immediately look for possible sources of moisture without disturbing suspected mold to prevent further spreading.
- Repair any sources of water as quickly as possible and thoroughly dry the any areas that are wet or damp.
- Move anything that is not suspected of having mold on it to a safe and dry area.
- If possible, seal off areas that may be contaminated to prevent further spreading.
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call SERVPRO of Toms River Today at 732-349-9898.
Five Preventative Tips Against Water Damage
An appliance leak caused this home to need water damage restoration in this Toms River home.
Water damage is one of the most common issues that homeowners like us, may face, but with prevention, we may stop it before it begins. Here are five simple tips to aid in the prevention of water destruction in your home:
- Do not ignore leaks. If you notice a leak inside or outside your home fix it quickly because a small leak will not remain small. If you are unable to fix it yourself, call in a plumber immediately. The faster you fix a leak, the less damage it will leave behind.
- Watch for increases in your water bill. If you have an increasingly high water bill one month there may be an unseen reason. Some pipes are in walls or underneath flooring making it difficult to see the leak or burst pipe.
- Regularly inspect appliances connected to a water supply line. Any appliance that connect to a water supply line, have a chance of bursting or leaking. Appliances using hoses are a common weakness for water damage problems. Replace any that show signs of decay, rust or damage.
- Turn off your main water valve to your home before going away. Turning off the main valve will cut off your home’s entire water supply and ensure that water will not wreak havoc on your home while unoccupied.
- Regularly inspect your roof and gutters. Keeping your roof in good condition with no cracks or loose shingles is a great line of defense against rainwater entering your home. While checking the roof, do not forget remove debris from your gutters to prevent overflow.
In Need of Water Damage Cleanup? Call SERVPRO of Toms River when a fast response is critical. We are your local water damage specialists who get started promptly to get your property dry and back to pre-water-damage condition.
Corroded Pipes at Local Dental Office Cause Water Damage
A local dental office in Bayville, NJ was surprised to find water damage on the their floors when they returned to the office.
A commercial dental office had a flood in areas of their building caused by corroded pipes attached to the water filtration system. Corrosion of pipes is due to physical and chemical reactions between the pipe material and water. In simple words, the metal from the piping dissolves into the water from various causes. Depending on the degree of the reaction, a new piping system can show signs of corrosion in as little as two years. If you are dealing with an older home, corrosion is always a risk. With corrosion comes restricted water flow and in extreme cases, cruddy water.
The rate of pipe corrosion is commonly associated with the following factors:
- Alkaline water, with a high pH level above 8.5.
- Acidic water, with a low pH level under 7.0.
- An elevated level of dissolved oxygen in the water.
- A high level of dissolved salts in the water, known as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS).
- Electrochemical issues, most commonly improper grounding of appliances and/or lightning strikes that pass through utility grounding wires.
- Bacteria that can cause corrosion, such as iron bacteria and sulfates.
- Hydraulic wear, caused by materials, such as grit, sand, and sediment, moving across the surface of the pipe.
- High velocity water, relative to the pipe size that causes hydraulic wear on the pipe surface, sometimes caused by pumps in hot water systems.
- An incorrect copper piping installation, where the ends of the pipe were not deburred or reamed and/or excessive acidic flux when the pipes were soldered together.
There is never a convenient time for water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of Toms River has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or water damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building or big box store, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion. In an emergency, give us a call 24/7 at 732-349-9898 and we will be there fast with the help you need.
Summertime Sewage Removal at the Jersey Shore
Summertime at the Jersey Shore is the time for getting out in the sun, enjoying fresh air and swimming at the beach. The last thing you want to come home to find after a wonderful summer day is the smell of sewage. When you left in the morning, there was no sign of the disaster to come. Unfortunately, this family in Lavallette, had exactly that experience this summer.
Sewage poses a serious health risk to any humans and animals living in the home, so anything it touches must be cleaned, disinfected, or discarded. Sewage can cause extensive property damage and severe health problems and, on top of that, it is extremely difficult and unpleasant to deal with because it requires a lot of time and effort, as well as specialized disinfecting products and purification techniques. Immediate cleanup of the affected area can help minimize the future damage and can prevent mold growth.
This photo shows that special training and equipment is necessary to clean this type of contamination safely. At SERVPRO of Toms River, we consider sewage cleanup to be an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are the water damage restoration specialists with specific training and expertise to safely restore your home to pre-sewage condition.
Be Fire Smart Against Electrical Fires in Your Home
Even a small electrical fire can cause significant damage to your Ocean County home.
There are more than 45,000 home electrical fires each year. They are the most common cause of fires in the home. They cause millions of dollars in damages, while claiming lives in the process. Most electrical fire deaths occur between midnight and 6 AM with peak months being December through March, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Common causes can be:
- Always appliances directly into a wall outlet.
- Never use an extension cord with a major appliance because it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.
- Do not overload wall outlets.Insert plugs fully into sockets.
- Never force a three-prong cord into a two-slot outlet.
- Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children.
- Extension Cords, Power Strips and Surge Protectors
- Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.
- Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.
- Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
- Do not overload power strips.
- Use power strips that have internal overload protection.
If your home does experience an electrical fire, SERVPRO of Toms River specializes in fire damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition.
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your Toms River home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care.
Restoring Your Toms River Commercial Property after a Water Damage Event
A commercial property in Toms River had an unexpected water damage and SERVPRO of Toms River made it "Like it never even happened."
Flooding and water damage events at Toms River commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require knowledge and a fast, flexible response time. Whether we are dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a larger event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
At SERVPRO of Toms River, our trained professionals will be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. In the event of an emergency in your business, give us a call day or night, weekdays or weekends, and we will be there fast with the help you require.
Mold Spores are Present in the Air all the Time
A water leak behind a sink was unseen for more than 48 hours and quickly spread into a "mold problem" in this home in Toms River, NJ.
Mold spores are present in the air all the time so it is impossible to eliminate every trace of it. It becomes more a matter of preventing the start of mold growth rather than trying to eliminate it once it starts to grow and spread. You might come across “DIY” tricks for getting rid of mold, but they almost never work. The most effective option is usually to call a professional who can:
- Locate and identify mold
- Assess the damage
- Contain the mold and keep it from spreading
- Identify and repair sources of moisture
- Provide air filtration
- Physically remove the mold
- Clean the affected area
- Develop and execute a restoration plan
When choosing a mold removal company, it is important to remember that killing the mold is more important than scoring a low price or “cheap deal.” SERVPRO of Toms River has highly trained specialists that specialize in mold removal and remediation. We effectively restore your home or business to pre-mold condition.
Mold can spread in as little as 48 hours. We will beat the clock and attend to your mold issue immediately so that it does not worsen. As your Toms River neighbors, we take pride in making your mold problem “Like it never even happened.” If you suspect you might have a mold problem, call us 24/7 at 732-349-9898. You can also learn more about our mold remediation and restoration services here.
After a Fire
A fire may leave the outside of your home untouched, as this one did in Ocean County, but the inside was covered in smoke and soot damage.
After a fire, the outside of your home may not show fire damage, but that does not mean that the inside fared as well. A small fire inside can leave the outside looking like new while the entire inside may be covered in smoke and soot. In addition to smoke and soot damage, your Toms River home may also suffer from water damage from the firefighting efforts.
Immediate action is crucial when dealing with fire damage. We are dedicated to responding immediately when you need help. A fast response helps lessen the damage, limits secondary damage, and reduces cost. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you will need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We will treat you with respect and empathy, and we will always treat your home and belongings with care.
At SERVPRO of Toms River, we specialize in fire and water damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive cleanup and restoration training to get your property back to pre-fire condition.
Mold and the Mold Remediation Process
During our mold remediation process in this home in Brick, NJ, barriers were constructed to prevent the further spread of mold spores.
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided, according to the EPA. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or contain moisture. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
Molds can gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth, according to the EPA.
Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Many restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy. We understand mold and mold growth. SERVPRO of Toms River has the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business.
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same. Learn more about our mold remediation process.
- Call SERVPRO of Toms River as soon as possible at 732-349-9898
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
For a guide from the EPA on Mold, Moisture and Your Home please visit their website.
Storm Alberto May Cause Flash Flooding and Downpours Over 5 Days
Even though Subtropical Storm Alberto has already crashed ashore on Florida's Gulf Coast,it is expected to churn through the United States on a path far west of New Jersey, but still impact the region, forecasters predict, according to the Toms River Patch. A surge of tropical air may cause downpours to spread over New Jersey and the northeastern United States late this week and into this weekend. New Jersey could see some rain on five straight days from Thursday to next Monday. There is the likelihood of isolated flash flooding incidents in the upcoming weather pattern, according to AccuWeather.
As the pattern evolves, motorists should be prepared for localized, torrential downpours that may quickly flood streets and low-lying portions of highways, according to AccuWeather. From late this week through this weekend, a general 1-3 inches of rain is likely with highly localized amounts up to 6 inches possible.
This storm was the first of the 2018 season to hit the Florida Panhandle this past Monday, dumping up to 8 inches of rain on Alabama and other southern states. It is expected to drench areas as far north as Chicago. After that, it will track through Michigan and into Canada, according to the National Weather Service.
For more information on Storm Alberto please visit TomsRiverPatch/StormAlberto.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Toms River Today at (732)-349-9898.
At SERVPRO of Toms River, restoring storm- and flood-damaged properties is the cornerstone of our business. Our highly trained professionals use specialized equipment and advanced training to quickly restore your Ocean County property to pre-storm condition. We’re dedicated to responding immediately, which helps to minimize secondary damage.