Five Preventative Tips Against Water Damage
Water damage is one of the most common issues that homeowners like us, may face, but with prevention, we may stop it before it begins. Here are five simple tips to aid in the prevention of water destruction in your home:
- Do not ignore leaks. If you notice a leak inside or outside your home fix it quickly because a small leak will not remain small. If you are unable to fix it yourself, call in a plumber immediately. The faster you fix a leak, the less damage it will leave behind.
- Watch for increases in your water bill. If you have an increasingly high water bill one month there may be an unseen reason. Some pipes are in walls or underneath flooring making it difficult to see the leak or burst pipe.
- Regularly inspect appliances connected to a water supply line. Any appliance that connect to a water supply line, have a chance of bursting or leaking. Appliances using hoses are a common weakness for water damage problems. Replace any that show signs of decay, rust or damage.
- Turn off your main water valve to your home before going away. Turning off the main valve will cut off your home’s entire water supply and ensure that water will not wreak havoc on your home while unoccupied.
- Regularly inspect your roof and gutters. Keeping your roof in good condition with no cracks or loose shingles is a great line of defense against rainwater entering your home. While checking the roof, do not forget remove debris from your gutters to prevent overflow.
In Need of Water Damage Cleanup? Call SERVPRO of Toms River when a fast response is critical. We are your local water damage specialists who get started promptly to get your property dry and back to pre-water-damage condition.