Flooding Information for Your Home or Business
SERVPRO of Toms River understands that every flood damage is different and requires a unique solution. Call us today at 732-349-9898.
What is flooding?
Flooding is a temporary overflow of water onto land that is normally dry.
What could cause flooding?
- Result from rain, snow, coastal storms, storm surges and overflows of dams and other water systems.
- Develop slowly or quickly. Flash floods can come with no warning.
- Cause outages, disrupt transportation, damage buildings and create landslides.
What you should know about Flood Safety:
- Make a family emergency communication plan and include pets.
- Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work, and in the car.
- Check on your neighbors to make sure they’re okay.
- Know what to do before, during, and after a flood.
- Flood insurance takes 30 days to take effect.
- Listen to local officials by radio, TV or social media.
- Evacuate when advised by authorities or if you are in a flood or flash flood prone area.
- If you are on high ground above flooded areas, being prepared to stay where you are may be the best protection.
- Never drive or walk through flooded streets.
For FEMA's Be Prepared for a Flood information sheets, click here.
When can you return to your home after a flood?
Pay attention to authorities for information and instructions than return home only when authorities say it is safe.
What can you do to restore your home or business after a flood?
Call SERVPRO of Toms River as soon as possible. has the specialized training and expertise to restore your home back to its pre-storm condition. Our restoration process puts an emphasis on scientific drying techniques, progress monitoring and documentation. Our quick response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.
SERVPRO of Toms River Has the Right Equipment For Every Water Damage Emergency
SERVPRO of Toms River professionals have the
resources and restoration equipment to help you take back control of your life.
The right equipment is vital for timely mitigation. SERVPRO of Toms River understands that using the proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform.
Scoping involves locating the areas of the structure affected by water and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. Moisture detection devices are also used to verify that an environment has been dried thoroughly.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable the SERVPRO® Franchise Professional to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure both temperature and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, a SERVPRO® Franchise Professional using a psychrometric chart can calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
The most effective method of removing moisture from a structure is extraction. This is why it is critical to respond quickly to a water damage and to provide emergency mitigation services. When the water is extracted quickly, the environment can usually be dried much faster.
- Extractors are used in cleaning carpets and upholstery and in removing water from floors following a water damage. Extractors can either be truck-mounted or portable, allowing for greater access inside structures.
Air Moving Equipment
Air movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level, thereby reducing drying time. As airflow at the surface level increases, the moisture in the air increases. This moisture is then eliminated via the use of dehumidification equipment.
By extracting water vapor from the air, dehumidifiers lower the relative humidity, which in turn increases the rate of evaporation. In a water damaged structure, dehumidifiers pull in the moist, humid air and then discharge dry, warm air. The dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moisture from wet materials. SERVPRO of Toms River use two types of dehumidifiers:
- Refrigerant Dehumidifiers work similarly to air conditioners.
- Desiccant Dehumidifiers use chemicals, called desiccants, that readily absorb moisture from the air. Deodorization.
- Ultra Low Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that easily penetrates sites where odor-causing residues accumulate. The device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other difficult-to-access areas.
- Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products in large volume, dense fogs suitable for confined areas. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that pair with and neutralize odor-causing particles.
Tropical Depression Henri dumps more than 8 inches of rain on parts of NJ
When a storm hits your home or business, you need help immediately. Our quick response will help return to normal quickly.
Though Hurricane Henri was expected to avoid a direct hit on New Jersey, the National Weather Service was forecasting it would bring heavy rain, strong winds, and flash flooding, with the northern half of the state at the most risk for the torrential weather. Henri was upgraded from a tropical storm to a hurricane late Saturday morning. Rain and wind in New Jersey were expected to begin sometime Saturday night. Luckily, the storm was downgraded to a tropical depression before and Ocean County did not get a direct hit. We did experience heavy rainfall, with Toms River receiving about 2.87 inches, Manchester 2.1 inches and Jackson 2.27 inches. Some other areas in New Jersey received more than 8 inches, according to NJ.com.
Do you know the difference between a tropical storm and tropical depression?
A tropical depression is a tropical cyclone that has maximum sustained surface winds (one-minute average) of 38 mph (33 knots) or less. A tropical storm is a tropical cyclone that has maximum sustained surface winds ranging from 39-73 mph (34 to 63 knots), according to the National Weather Service.
New Jersey was under a tropical storm watch because the path for Tropical Storm Henri was uncertain until it got closer to New Jersey. As the path became certain, Ocean County was going to avoid a direct hit and the storm’s intensity decreased. We were just going to get the outer bands from the storm which means rain, rain and more rain with a chance of flooding.
Do you know the difference between a tropical storm watch and a tropical storm warning?
A tropical storm watch is issued when Tropical Storm conditions, including winds of 39-73 mph, pose a POSSIBLE threat to a specified coastal area within 48 hours. A tropical storm warning is issued when Tropical Storm conditions, including winds of 39-73 mph, are EXPECTED in a specified coastal area within 36 hours or less.
If your property experienced storm damage for the storm, call SERVPRO of Toms River to quickly and properly restore your structure. We have specialized training and expertise to restore your home back to its pre-storm condition. Our restoration process puts an emphasis on scientific drying techniques, progress monitoring and documentation.
Could NJ be looking at more rainfall and more flooding this week due to Hurricane Ida heading to NJ?
A fast response to flooding is a critical part of limiting the damage and getting your family back to normal.
As Hurricane Ida makes a right turn and heads towards NJ, it is expected to be downgraded from a category 4 hurricane but it could still bring lots of rain and flooding to Ocean County when it arrives. After an already wet summer from lots of storms including Tropical Storm Fred and then Tropical Storm Henri, Ida is predicted over the next few days to weaken into a tropical depression when it arrives in NJ. The center (or eye) of the storm appears to be heading right towards NJ. Forecasters are predicting the 200 mile wide storm to arrive in NJ sometime on Wednesday or Thursday depending on her speed and if her paths shifts a bit. Ida may bring up to 4-6 inches of rainfall to the Garden State this week.
Hurricane Ida is probably going to bring more rain and cause more flooding problems. Significant flash flooding may become a concern starting Wednesday due to the heavy rain and flooding that was brought to us last week when Tropical Storm Henri came through. A Flash Flood Watch has already been issued for most of New Jersey, from Wednesday morning through Thursday evening. The weather service said flooding is possible in creeks, streams and areas with poor drainage. Water is expected to cover roads, particularly in low lying areas.
SERVPRO of Toms River has the Resources to Handle Major Storms and Disasters
We are locally owned and operated, so we can respond immediately with our highly trained technicians. You can trust our professionals to handle your damages with care, precision, and expert knowledge.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call us SERVPRO of Toms River today at 732-349-9898.
How does your business set itself apart and inspire confidence with your customers and employees?
Take an additional step to make sure your business has received a higher cleaning standard with Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Many businesses are tasked not only with navigating the constantly changing guidelines set forth NJ but are also learning a new way of doing business. Regardless of what industry you are in, every business in our state has had to make difficult but necessary decisions to develop a strategic plan to remain open during a pandemic. Business owners and employees are now placing a higher emphasis on cleanliness and sanitation in the workplace, for not only their employees to feel safe, but for the safety of their customers as well.
Commercial Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned for COVID-19 Cleaning
Our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned program is the answer. With a tailored cleaning program that is customized for your business needs, our expertly trained staff cleans and decontaminates your property according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention standards. We use EPA-approved cleaning solutions, including our proprietary cleaning agent SERVPROXIDE, a hospital-grade disinfectant that is NSF certified for direct food contact surface use.
As a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned participant, you’ll provide reassurance to your customers and employees that you’re taking all the steps needed to get the highest level of clean for them. This dedication will be on display through a decal window emblem, and other digital marks to show your commitment to clean.
Is there a difference between mold and mildew? Can we prevent either or both from growing in our home?
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call Us Today – (732) 349-9898
Mold and mildew are not the same but they do share a number of key characteristics. Both are common types of household fungi and both thrive in damp, humid environments. They are both destructive and beneficial. They both spread from surface to surface easily. To better understand the differences, first we need to know what each is.
Mildew is a kind of mold and is known as a surface fungi. Mildew grows on top of flat surfaces and does not penetrate surfaces and grow into the material. Mildew needs the same elements (warmth, darkness, oxygen, and moisture) mold needs to grow. Mildew can grow and spread just as quickly as other molds, but it can be treated without much trouble. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), mildew is considered to be early stage mold .
Mold is a living organism that belongs to the kingdom Fungi, meaning mold is a type of fungus. Mold cannot make its own food like plants do so it must gain nutrients from other organic substances. Mold does not really eat its food, but it does absorb nutrition from other organisms by secreting enzymes that break down the food substance into smaller organic molecules that can then be absorbed.
Did you know that there are than 100,000 species of mold? Luckily, only about 80 have the potential to cause health effects to humans.
Now that we know the similarities between the two and what each one is, let’s look at what makes them different:
- They both affect the home but cause different types of damage. Mildew usually causes less damage than mold and the damage is usually more cosmetic.
- Mildew’s tendency to only grow on flat surfaces is another of the main differences that exist between the two.
Here is how we help can prevent both mold and mildew from growing in our home:
- Keep everything dry if possible.
- Use a dehumidifier to keep humidity at a safe level for your home.
- Change air filters regularly.
- Use your eyes to look for signs of mold or mildew growth.
Why Choose SERVPRO of Toms River?
We are highly trained mold remediation specialists and have the experience, the expertise, and the advanced training that enables us to get your property restored quickly and thoroughly. We also use advanced mold remediation techniques and equipment
Want to Be Severe Storm Ready?
This is the time of year that Toms River and Ocean County get many severe weather and storms. Always be prepared with an emergency kit.
Some dangers of severe weather and storms include tornadoes, strong winds, hail and flash flooding. There is not always time to get everything we may need together quickly before the storm, so always have stuff ready for quick evacuation. Some items you may want to have packed and ready include:
- non-perishable food
- manual can opener
- battery powered radio
- extra batteries
- personal hygiene items
- first aid supplies/kit
- copies of important documents
- cell phone fully charged
- important contact information for family and friends
- change of clothes
- pocket knife
- rain gear
What should my first aid/medical kit contain?
- sterile adhesive bandages
- pain relievers
- first aid guide
- moist towelettes
What important documents should I copy and have ready?
- insurance cards
- medical records
- bank numbers
- credit card numbers
- copies of birth certificates and/or marriage licenses
- copy of social security cards
- other personal documents
- copy of wills
- titles of cars and properties
- house inventory photos
Never leave your pets behind and make sure you have enough extra food, water, leashes, medicines and vet records for them.
We all hope to never need to use these emergency kits but it is always better to be prepared just in case an emergency strikes.
What is Soot Damage?
It’s not uncommon to have questions about the soot removal process. Call us today to answer all your questions at 732-349-9898.
What is soot?
Soot is a black carbonaceous substance produced during incomplete combustion of coal, wood, oil, etc., rising in fine particles that adhere to and blacken surfaces on contact., according to the Free Dictionary.
This is messy irritant, soot, can damage materials it touches. Therefore, proper cleaning techniques need to be used, especially when cleaning soot off the ceilings and walls, or you could actually make the situation worse instead of better.
Soot can spread much further than flames, staining many different surfaces throughout your home. Porous materials like drywall, paint, wood, carpeting, and fabric are most susceptible to soot damage. Other non-porous materials like metal, stone, and glass, are more resistant to soot but they can still be damaged. Soot may also get into ductwork for your heating and air conditioning system, which could spread it even further.
Why is soot produced?
Incomplete combustion produces soot. Keeping burners and pilots cleaned and properly adjusted can reduce the amount of soot produced. Uncontrolled combustion, such as wood burning in an open fireplace, candles, and cigarettes, produce higher amounts of soot, according to Iowa State University.
How is the soot problem solved?
Find and eliminate the source. Remove all traces of soot from all surfaces.
What Happens if Soot Remains on Surfaces?
The longer the soot remains due to it's acidic nature, the more significant the damage to properties and structures if not properly cleaned in a timely manner. Metal will corrode if soot remains on the surface. Glass and mirrors can become etched. Plastic, vinyl, and fabric may become discolored.
What is Soot vs Smoke?
Soot is seeable part on surfaces and smoke is the gaseous part that produces an odor.
Can SERVPRO of Toms River remove all soot?
SERVPRO of Toms River understands that each soot damage presents unique issues and challenges. As experts in soot damage cleanup, our crew has seen, cleaned and restored it all.
Is There Anything More Traumatic for a Business Then Discovering a Fire Has Struck?
SERVPRO of Toms River is Here to Help 24/7.
Whether you get a call from the fire department about a fire at your business or arrive there and see a fire truck putting out flames, both are devastating and shocking. Once the initial shock wears off, call SERVPRO of Toms River as soon as possible. We provide expert fire damage cleanup services designed for business in New Jersey. We will return your Ocean County business to its pre-disaster state quickly, while minimizing the impact and interruption to your business as much as possible.
What can I do until help arrives at my business?
- You may walk through AFTER it is deemed safe but not without gloves, eye protection, a face-mask, and a respirator to keep smoke particles off your skin and out of your lungs.
- Although the fire may have only affected one area of your Toms River business, smoke can permeate a larger area. Try and ventilate the building by opening windows and running fans, if possible.
- Smoke can cause malfunctions in the mechanisms so be sure to inspect and appliances before turning them on.
- Always throw away any perishable food items that may have been exposed to smoke and never try to save them.
- Change the filter in your air conditioner unit before you turn it on because soot most likely will have accumulated there.
Why can you always count on SERVPRO of Toms River for your commercial fire damage emergency?
- We offer 24 hour emergency service
- We utilize state-of-the-art cleaning and restoration technology
- We are faster to any size disaster
- We are a trusted leader in the fire restoration industry with over
- Our crew is highly trained in fire damage cleanup
- We are locally owned and operated
Our fire damage cleanup crew is just a phone call away, operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call us at 732-349-9898 for all your emergency commercial fire needs.
Why Use SERVPRO for Your Business’ Restoration and Remediation Emergencies?
SERVPRO of Toms River handles all types of water, fire and mold cleanup, restoration and remediation.
When your business experiences an emergency from a natural disaster, plumbing issue, fire, or flood, you need to act fast to limit financial loss, and keep your business open. Commercial restoration companies, like SERVPRO of Toms River, offers several services to bring your property back to its original condition, something you likely can’t do by yourself if you have suffered extensive damages.
What are SERVPRO of Toms River’s Qualifications to Handle My Business’s Emergency?
- We are an IICRC Certified Firm, which ensures top-level standards and ethics surrounding restoration processes.
- We have high ratings on sites such as Google and Facebook and we often testimonials on our website to showcase previous clients’ reviews. Here at SERVPRO of Toms River, we are very proud to say that we get many customer reviews about our technicians for their knowledgeable, understanding and their attention to detail.
- Our highly trained team of specialists work extensively in the disaster recovery field and handle all aspects of disaster cleanup. Our technicians have certifications from the IICRC to prove that they have the skills and necessary training to perform all required tasks.
- We will deal with your insurance company after a disaster to make everything as smooth as possible during this stressful time. Our business is to get you back to your business as soon as possible. If your business is still able to function during the restoration process, we will do everything possible to minimize disruption so that you can remain as efficient as possible.
- Our quick response time can help stop further damage and keep costs from increasing.
What types of emergencies can SERVPRO of Toms River handle for your business?
- Mold Removal
- Fire Damage Restoration Service
- Water Removal and Cleanup
- Sewage Cleanup
- Bio-hazard Cleanup
Contact SERVPRO of Toms River today for all your business’ water, fire and mold emergencies at 732-349-9898.