What is the Leading Cause of Residential Fires During the Holidays?
During the holiday season, the leading cause of residential fires is cooking equipment. With the upcoming holidays, we tend to spend a lot more time in the kitchen cooking and baking. We also have a lot on our minds so it is easy to get distracted while cooking. It is so important that we practice safe cooking habits to avoid having a fire in the kitchen.
How to avoid cooking fires during the holidays:
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use a timer as a reminder that an appliance is on
- Keep children away from the cooking area
- Keep anything flammable away from appliances that generate heat
- Do not wear loose clothing that may catch fire
- Keep appliances clean and grease free
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it
- Make sure all appliances are off before you leave or go to bed
- Install smoke alarms and make sure they are working properly
SERVPRO of Toms River wishes everyone a happy and fire-free holiday season.