Be Fire Smart Against Electrical Fires in Your Home
There are more than 45,000 home electrical fires each year. They are the most common cause of fires in the home. They cause millions of dollars in damages, while claiming lives in the process. Most electrical fire deaths occur between midnight and 6 AM with peak months being December through March, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Common causes can be:
- Always appliances directly into a wall outlet.
- Never use an extension cord with a major appliance because it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.
- Do not overload wall outlets.Insert plugs fully into sockets.
- Never force a three-prong cord into a two-slot outlet.
- Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children.
- Extension Cords, Power Strips and Surge Protectors
- Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.
- Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.
- Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
- Do not overload power strips.
- Use power strips that have internal overload protection.
If your home does experience an electrical fire, SERVPRO of Toms River specializes in fire damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition.
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your Toms River home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care.